History in the Making

Thomson moved to Dahlonega as a member of the Dahlonega Consolidated Gold Mining Company. Land was purchased from Esther C. Hall, wife of Frank W. Hall, who built the present day Smith House.

“the prettiest and most convenient dwelling in Dahlonega”

Charters had been mayor of Dahlonega (1886) and married Belle Price. Belle was the daughter of the honorable William P. Price, after whom Price Memorial Hall at the University of North Georgia is named. Charters practiced law in Dahlonega until 1906, when he moved to Gainesville, Georgia.

Gurley was the brother of successful Dahlonega merchant, Hiram D. Gurley. The estate of Andrew Gurley sold the home in 1913. “It is located on a high point of the Cooper Gap Road and is one of the most desirable places in Dahlonega…” (Dahlonega Nugget, Oct. 17, 1913)

It was during this time that the house became known as Hillcrest.

Hyers was the Vice-president of the Bank of Dahlonega and was a trustee of Shools in Dahlonega. He was also elected to the Georgia State Legislature in 1919 as a representative of Lumpkin County.

The Meaders family has a long history in Dahlonega as postmasters, merchants, and bankers. Frank and his wife Mae Q. Meaders purchased the home in 1919. Mrs. Mae Meaders was very artistic and her artwork hung in the house, as recalled by her grandson, Jack Q. Meaders (from interview Aug. 10, 2009).

Joe and his wife lived in the house and rented rooms to students from North Georgia College. Mr. Woodward served as Mayor of Dahlonega for 10 years and was director of the Dahlonega Water Works.

George Potter was retired from the Military and served on the Military faculty at North Georgia College. His wife Helen taught in the Lumpkin County School system. Students would often visit the home and play with the Potter’s three children.

As the center of operations for various mortuary services, Hillcrest serves the families of Dahlonega for the next 50 years. Over this time additions and alterations leave the building in stages of disrepair.

The building remains relatively unoccupied and falls into disrepair. The historic building and an icon of the community is at risk of demolition.

A daring plan to save the historic building and preserve it as a community center begins to take shape.


Between May and June 2025 the Hillcrest House is moved to its current location on North Grove Street. It is currently undergoing renovation. Construction to both save the historic building and provide a center of operations and neurodivergent workspace for Dahlonega.